1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How-to Repair your personal folder permissions MacOS

Discussion in 'Mac & OS X' started by Alex Dmitri, Feb 15, 2017 at 6:10 PM.

1. Alex Dmitri

Alex Dmitri Admin
    Staff Member Owner Contributor

With the latest versions of MacOS, Apple has removed the maintenance features that were previously found in Disk Utility . Permission repair was an operation that was done from time to time to correct some problems. With El Capitan, the tool was always available on the command line. Since Sierra, it is finished, it is no longer possible to repair the permissions.

If not, Apple details in a technical sheet how to repair the permissions for your personal file. This is not the same as the tool that was available at one time in Disk Utility , since it only affects the personal folder (the one with a house as an icon). However, this is where all your documents and especially the preferences and contents of the apps are located.

As Apple explains, if permissions are not properly set, you may have many problems.The technical sheet lists several cases, the one I have met concerns the system parameters. Overnight, the changes made in System Preferences were no longer really saved and I had to change them again every time I restarted.

The method detailed in the data sheet worked perfectly in my case. To start, open the Finder, select your personal folder, and view the information with the keyboard shortcut ( ⌘i) or with an alternate click and Read information . In the palette that opens, display the Sharing and Permissions section and click the padlock at the bottom right. Enter the session password, then click the toothed wheel on the left, and choose Apply to Included Items .

Wait until the operation is completed. Depending on the number of folders and files in your personal folder, it may take a little time. When finished, open the Terminal (use Spotlight) and enter this command:

diskutil resetUserPermissions / `id -u`

Wait until the end of the operation (which can also be long and use the processor intensely) and your problem should have been fixed. In my case, in any case, the settings changed in System Preferences are saved again, even after a restart.

This two-step method is not the easiest, however, and repairing the permissions in Disk Utility might be preferable.